Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Flashback to the 80's....the 80's?

I know, you are probably wondering what in the world? The 80's, I just have to reminisce as I sometimes do about the era that is still kind of cloudy to me in my memory. I was an 80's child what can I say?

Here are some things I remember, not everything but some....

1. Rushing home from school, I was always trying to make it home on time just to get a glimpse if not...try to view the whole episodes of my favorite cartoons. Number 1 on my list is of course the cartoons. Who could forget Transformers? That had to be the number one cartoon back then. Thanks to the movie remake of this great cartoon, it will not long be forgotten. Other cartoon greats were of course the Go-bots, Voltron, Thundercats, She-ra, Speed Racer, (haha I know you used to watch that too, don't laugh), Snorks, Monchichis, Robotech was awesome!

2. Toys, toys and toys....The designs of toys from back then compared to now are so simplistic. Yet, for many of us, they provided countless hours of enjoyment. The big wheel was one of my all time favorites. You could drive up all the way to the top of the street, then at full blast pedal as fast as you can downhill (if you had a downhill, you were lucky) and then swerve and slam on the brakes, sliding and spinning. What a thrill!! Who could forget about the Rubki's cube. It kinda bothered me that I could never figure out the whole cube, maybe 2 or 3 sides at the most.

The Transformer toys were incredible, imagine a toy that changed from one thing to another. Another marvel of engineering, the triple changer, holy cow 3 toys in one!! Cabbage patch kids were a collectible among the feminine side. They would drag those kids everywhere. Skateboards and being a skater was probably at an all time high in the 80's. It was kinda cool to skate or be a bmx'r back then. Other toys of note...Easy bake oven, Lite Brite, Glow Worm, Garbage Pail Kids trading cards, Legos, He-man, feel free to add if I missed some.

3. Clothes...and style...if you could call it that. Wow, ok, I didn't know you could wear clothes like that in public and be cool? Torn jeans, and the jean jacket. Trademark 80's don't you think? Every one wanted a jean jacket. Even if it was new, you just had to add your artistic flair and draw on it hehe. Skinny pants and leggings for girls. High high, wavy hair, you could almost surf on it! Pegging your pants was in and the tighter the better. Converse and Vans were the shoes to wear. I do however remember the Preps back then. Z. Cavaricci was the "in" thing for them, I don't know what some people were smoking...60 - 75 dollars for a pair of pants! Other styles of note...hawaiian shirts, rolling up of shirt sleeves, those ugly full length socks with the 2 or 3 stripes!, biker shorts, short shorts, and the Madonna and Cindy Lauper look for the bold.

4. Movies and t.v. Ahhh...my favorite. Kung-fu kicking my brother's butt on a Saturday in our living room while the show was on was great. I would always win, don't know if he just let me though!! Kung-fu theater aired at about 12 noon if I remember correctly. Miami Vice was cool. Everybody wanted to be Don Johnson. Heck, who wouldn't action, girls, cool cars and he was pretty well off. Of course, I pity the fool who didn't watch The A-team. Another great show lost to our memories. Sesame Street as a kid was great, with that I also watched 3-2-1 contact, for my mother always wanted me to watch educational shows..hmmm......

Well, that will do for me, until I get a chance to update this list. Yeah, just like I said, wow the 80's...

No comments: